Friday, July 31, 2020

Look At His Face




Isaiah 50:6 (HCSB)
       ”I gave My back to those who beat Me, and My cheeks to those who tore out My beard. I did not hide My face from scorn and spitting.”

Isaiah 52:14 (NLT)
    “But many were amazed when they saw him. His face was so disfigured he seemed hardly human…”

Isaiah 53:12
     “….. He bore the sin of many, And made intercession for the transgressors.”

Jesus prayer for sinners: “Father, forgive them….” Luke 23:34 (KJV) “The wonder of all wonders is that Jesus prays for them, that His heavenly Father would open their eyes and help them to see their sin. He wants them to turn to Him in faith and repentance and not in vengeance. It declares guilt but also offers forgiveness at the same time.” Quote from John Neposlan and picture from Janet E. Brown.

Heavenly Father, other than what the Scriptures tell us, and some movies depict for us, I do not know how mangled Jesus body was nor how marred his face became from the beatings inflicted on him. I do know his greatest anguish was in his soul suffering for the punishment of my transitions and paying the penalty for my sin. In a way that is deeper than I can understand is Isaiah's prophecy “He poured out His soul unto death…..” Isaiah 53:12 (NKJV) 

And even deeper still does Matthew record: “From noon until three in the afternoon darkness came over the whole land. 46 About three in the afternoon Jesus cried out with a loud voice, “Elí, Elí, lemá sabachtháni?” that is, “My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?” Matthew 27:45-46 (HCSB)

Holy Father only the Triune God knows the infinite density of that terrifying darkness. Therefore help us mortal, miserable and unworthy sinners to look at the face of Jesus, hear his prayer for us and then recognize and repent of our sin. There is no other hope or help than: “Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.  Hebrews 12:2 (KJV)

Amen.

1 comment:

Wanda said...

I enjoy all your posts, but this is very special and needs to be read and re-read, and take in all the scriptures, and meaningful prayer. Thanks Dearest.