Wednesday, May 24, 2023

THE KINDNESS OF GOD

 


Romans 2:4 (NLT) 
"Don’t you see how wonderfully kind, tolerant, and patient God is with you?  
Does this mean nothing to you?  
 Can’t you see that his kindness is intended to turn you from your sin?" 

Nothing moves me more to humility, tears and gratitude than the Kindness of God. I know what I deserve, God's righteous judgement. The overwhelming reality of my unworthiness and yet the incredible worth of me to God can only be see and understood by the cross and Christ's suffering for my sin, which He did not deserve, but I do!

How well the Scriptures explain this: "God showed how much he loved us (me) by sending his one and only Son into the world so that we (I) might have eternal life through him. This is real love—not that we  (I) loved God, but that he loved us (me) and sent his Son as a sacrifice to take away our (mine) sins."   1 John 4:9-10 (NLT) 

Romans 5:8 (NLT)  "But God showed his great love for us (me) by sending Christ to die for us (me) while we (I was) were still sinners."
 
I cannot over emphasis how much this personal kindness of God means to me. Words simply fail. The following Scriptures will give insight and understanding into such glorious grace, magnificent mercy and loving kindness.

Titus 3:4-5 (NLT)  "4 But—When God our Savior revealed his kindness and love, 5 he saved us, not because of the righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He washed away our sins, giving us a new birth and new life through the Holy Spirit."

That is why the question is asked: 
"4 Don’t you see how wonderfully kind, tolerant, and patient God is with you? Does this mean nothing to you? Can’t you see that his kindness is intended to turn you from your sin? 5 But because you are stubborn and refuse to turn from your sin, you are storing up terrible punishment for yourself. For a day of anger is coming, when God’s righteous judgment will be revealed." Romans 2:4-5 (NLT)  
 
The Apostle Peter reminds us of God's kindness: " The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance." 2 Peter 3:9 (NIV) 
 
And John reminds us of the great reason for God's kindness. “For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life."  John 3:16 (NLT)
  
The following song: "He Looked Beyond My Fault and Saw My Need" expresses the emotions of why I feel so deeply grateful for the wonderful Kindness of the Triune God: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

"Amazing grace will always be my song of praise,
For it was grace that brought me Liberty,
I do not know just why He came to love me so,
He looked beyond my fault and saw my need,
I shall forever lift my eyes to Calvary,
To view the cross where Jesus died for me,
How marvelous the grace that caught my falling soul,
He looked beyond fault and saw my need."

That you Father for your kindness revealed at the Cross of Christ and the gracious forgiveness of all my sin. And for the Holy Spirit's indwelling presence. In the gentle Name of Jesus my Savior and Lord. Amen.



2 comments:

Sandi said...

One thousand Amens to all of this.

Wanda said...

Wonderful devotion on kindness. We have experienced His kindness in our lives so many times. I'm so glad you are sharing your devotional thoughts.